Start your day with protein and veggies in these Spinach Protein Pancakes! A fun way to add some greens while keeping them gluten free, dairy free, and vegetarian.
Happy almost St. Patrick’s Day! Bring on all the green beer!! Just kidding, that kind of weirds me out. Do you have anything planned for the holiday? I remember back in college and a few years after, it consisted of lots and lots of drinking. These days not so much. But green food on the other hand, sign me up!
We are heading down to an even at SXSW tonight and then have another one on Friday. I’m sure Friday will be a shitshow downtown since it’s St. Patrick’s Day and SXSW. I don’t think my 28 year self is ready for it. I couldn’t tell you the last time I went out drinking. I guess we will see what happens.
But back to the green food. Is there a better way to celebrate than pancakes?! I think not. I obviously like to celebrate with protein pancakes. And I wouldn’t quit until I got these just right. I was eating all the pancakes last week trying to get these right. Three attempts later I finally got the fluffiness that I wanted!
The secret is quinoa flour! I have actually never used it before, but now I’m a firm believer in it. Truth is I have a bunch of different flours in my pantry that I buy when they are one sale or I think I might need them. Most of them just sit there, but I’m so glad I had this on hand. My hoarding of food is finally paying off…just kidding 😉
The green coloring comes from spinach, if you didn’t guess by the recipe name. No green 42 or whatever it is called. Even though I made these spinach protein pancakes for St. Patrick’s Day, they can be made all year round. Sneaking some veggies into breakfast never hurt anyone 😉 I’m going to making these all the time and topping them with yogurt, OR I’m even thinking they would be great for a savory sandwich! A little turkey and veggies? Why the heck not!
Check out the video to see how easy they come together!
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
- ¼ cup unsweetened flax milk (or almond)
- 1 medium banana (100 grams)
- 1 cup packed spinach (50 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- 3 tablespoons natural flavored protein powder* (22 grams)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- avocado oil, for greasing
- toppings of choice
- Place milk, spinach, and the banana into a Vitamix, or high powered blender, and blend until spinach is broken down, about 30 seconds.
- Add to a medium sized bowl. Whisk in eggs. Add quinoa flour, protein powder, coconut flour, and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
- Melt avocado oil in a large sauté pan or griddle over medium heat. Add about ¼ cup of batter to the pan, forming pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip over and cook for another 1 minute until fluffy and cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve topped with your favorite toppings.
How do you like to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Are you more of a drinking or eating type of person?
PS – Happy Birthday to my best friend Liz!! Hope you have a fabulous day!
This post contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!