Chocolate Covered Peppermint Macaroons made from only 4 healthy ingredients that taste like a homemade peppermint patty. Vegan, paleo, gluten and dairy free!
Who is ready for the holidays and some treats?! I’m all about having some fun this holiday season and treating myself, but no need to throw away all the hard work you have done over the past year. You can still be healthy while having fun. I’ll be posting a few healthy, whole food sweet treats this season so say tuned!
I’m still recovering my from marathon this weekend and man am I sore. And a little out of it. We can’t park on our street this week since they are doing street cleaning so the neighbor came over and told us we can park in his driveway during the day when they are at work. He knocked on the door and I looked at him like a crazy person. He had to introduce himself again. I’m the worst!! I feel so bad so I think I might write them a note saying sorry. Maybe throw in some of these macaroons.
It’s been awhile since I posted a treat to ETG. I have posted two chia seeds puddings (gingerbread and pumpkin), but I wouldn’t really call those a treat. Truth be told, I am definitely not the baker. I like to pretend I am, but baking is a science and you can’t just throw things in the mix and hope for the best. That is usually what I do when I make brownies and they usually don’t turn out how I hope. I still eat them, but def not worthy enough to post.
So when it comes to sweet treats, no bake treats are my favorite to make. These chocolate covered peppermint macaroons only take 4 ingredients (plus sea salt) and couldn’t be easier to make. Michael loved them and he isn’t even a chocolate lover. He swears if you were to put one up against a peppermint patty, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. I’m guessing peppermint patties aren’t this healthy though!
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted and divided
- 1½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (I used enjoy life brand)
- sea salt
- In a small mixing bowl mix together shredded coconut, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, and peppermint extract. Using a tablespoon, scoop out mixture and form into balls/macaroon shapes. Place on a parchment paper lined dish in the refrigerator and let harden for at least 30 minutes.
- When the coconut is hardened, make the chocolate. Melt chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon coconut oil by using the double broiler method or in the microwave. I did this in 20 second increments, stirring after each time. Be careful not to burn.
- Dip the macaroons in the milted chocolate, covering completely. Place back on the parchment paper and sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chocolate hardens.
- Keep in the refrigerator or a cool place. Enjoy!
Do you try to keep it healthy and fun during the holidays?